Thursday, July 12, 2018

Wooed by Semantics

In a few more days, I'd live uptown in Tom Henshaw's apartment. As a married woman. My drinking buddy had turned into my fiancé.

Dad sat at the table, figuring my taxes: my federal taxes and my marriage ceremony fell on April 15, 1961. Except for taxes, I was ready. I'd made my simple wedding gown, blue. To wear white would be two-faced. 

What really enthralled me was semantics. I read Science and Sanity by Alfred Korzybski, known for saying, "The map is not the territory." 

Once in class, Korzybski opened a packet of biscuits, wrapped in white paper. "Excuse me, I just must have something to eat." 

He looked at the students. "Would you like a biscuit?"

Several reached for one.

"Nice biscuit, hmm?" Korzybski ate a second one.

Before him, students chewed vigorously.

Suddenly, he ripped the white paper off to reveal a package labeled "Dog Cookies."

Shocked students clapped their hands over their mouths, ran out of class to the toilet to vomit.

"You see," Korzybski told the remaining students, "I have just demonstrated that people don't just eat food, but also words."

No comments:

Post a Comment