Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Turkey Day


"Junie," my Jack said. "Do you know Thanksgiving is this Thursday?"

I didn't know. 

I'd been too swamped working on my new book, THIEVES, RASCALS & SORE LOSERS, to think about much of anything else. 

It was already Tuesday night, so I dashed to the store.

First the turkey. Aisles of turkeys, frozen or not, big or bigger, in many colored wrappings. I stared in dismay. Supposing I found a smaller one, suppose I brought it home and read up in THE JOY OF COOKING and stuck it in the oven. No stuffing. Forget the stuffing. Suppose it even cooked up okay. Jack and I would just fight over the dark meat leavings tons of white meat to be frozen against some desperate day when Meals on Wheels doesn't show.

Didn't seem likely.

I went to the deli that featured a whole cooked turkey and asked for a couple slices. But that turkey was only for show.

I roamed the meat market looking for some other solution, and there it was. Ground turkey. Dark or white. Chop up a few onions and make a couple of patties. Perfect! Easier for Jack to eat than chomping on drumsticks. I grabbed a pack of ground dark meat.

Next I bought a baking potato (we eat yams all the time). Figured that I'd make salads for veggies, but went back to the deli and bought a container of cranberry sauce, their special (so sweet it curls my hair). And grabbed an eight-inch pumpkin pie on the way out. Have to have some forbidden food on Thanksgiving. Right?

There you have it. That's how our Thanksgiving will be. With maybe Jack's special pancakes for supper. If he's willing to take time off from writing his novel, TAIGA: THE LONG WAY HOME. 

And your special day?

Don't tell me you're eating REAL turkey! With dressing and gravy and mashed potatoes and candied yams and breaded green beans and cranberries and three kinds of pie, some with whipped cream.

 

from:  a JoLt of CoFFeY 
 An Intermittent Newsletter
by Marilyn June Coffey
"BitterSweet Rebel"


some BitterSweet books 

written by Marilyn June Coffey

www.marilyncoffey.net


MAIL-ORDER KID: AN ORPHAN TRAIN RIDER'S STORY

This biography sees the orphan train movement through the eyes of a small child, Teresa, who survives a tortured childhood and ultimately, as an adult, comes to terms with her past, her faith, and herself.

"This book absolutely captivated me and I had it read within 24 hours." Leela Brunner, Amazon review

Order from www.mail-orderkid.net or The Bookworm in Omaha, NE, or online book dealers. 

GREAT PLAINS PATCHWORK: A MEMOIR

A lyrical chronicle of the "wondrous strange" Great Plains, the book stitches together historical research, myth, Coffey's family legend and memory. Atlantic Monthly featured a chapter as its cover story. 

"An entertaining, insightful collection." New York Times

Try on-line book dealers such as Alibris, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, BookFinder, or Powell's Books.

A CRETAN CYCLE: FRAGMENTS UNEARTHED FROM KNOSSOS

The ancient Greek myth of the Minotaur, a bull-headed monster, retold—from a feminist perspective.

"A single, sharp, funny story in verse." Santa Barbara Independent

A collector's item. Search eBay or other on-line book dealers.

MARCELLA: A NOVEL

A riveting story of sexual abuse, Marcella made literary history as the first novel written in English to use female autoeroticism [masturbation] as a main theme.

"An important part of the truth telling by and for women." Gloria Steinem

Try on-line book dealers such as Alibris, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, BookFinder, or Powell's Books.


No comments:

Post a Comment