Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What She Wore


I'm not Kate Middleton, although we both are what London's DAILY MAIL calls a "no-fuss" kind of girl.

Strangely enough, we also seem to be "terrified of making a fashion faux pas." 

My terror's probably hereditary. Zelma, my Midwestern mother, didn't buy designer clothes. But she had a keen sense of what should be worn where. 

Her voice lingers in my ear: "Are you going to wear THAT?"

So when I decided to attend the dinner in Concordia, KS, to accept the Special President's Award from the National Orphan Train Complex, I panicked.

HAIR

First order of business--get a haircut. 

Unlike Kate, I don't visit the hairdresser every six weeks. I only go when I can no longer stand my hair creeping into my eyes, over my ears, and under my collar.  

And unlike Kate, I certainly don't spend £105 for an appointment with a celebrity hairdresser. No, I frequent an Omaha, Nebraska, hairdressers' school. So I spend $8, plus a tip-------IF it's warranted. 

It wasn't. This "no-fuss" kind of girl returned home shorn like a fleeced ewe.

What could I do?

Nothing.

So I turned my mind to other matters. Such as

WHAT TO WEAR

I don't have a £400 a day personal shopping consultant like Kate, nor the time to spend at least a day a week shopping along London's Kings Road -- or anywhere else, for that matter. 

But I do have consultants: 

Dick Lerner, author, DRESS LIKE THE BIG FISH, & owner, Bel Air Fashions, Omaha

Sally J. Walker, a Big Fish in the Nebraska Writers Guild

Jack Loscutoff, my POSSLQ. 

Oh, you don't know what POSSLQ means? It's simple.
Person of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters. Pronounced (p

No comments:

Post a Comment