Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Areolas


Do men have areolas?

You know, those colored rings around the nipples.

Well, if you can't tell from casual observation, go on the Internet and find the answer: "Yes."

Men have areloas and they have nipples and they display them at will, so why don't they get arrested in Lincoln, Nebraska, the way women do? Women who show a nipple or an areola, that is.

Am I kidding? I wish I were. 

The newspaper saw this as a joke: "Nubile Nebraska Nudie Nabbed."

Police Chief Tom Casady did not. He ticketed women for violating the city's public nudity ordinance. He put it this way: "It's unlawful to be naked in public in Lincoln." 

Unless you're a man, he should have added.

The city ordinances call the sight of a female breast or nipple "an offense against public decency." Along with gambling, marijuana, toxic compounds, paraphernalia, spitting on someone, urinating or defecating in public.

Lincoln officials define "nudity," in part, as "the showing of the female breast with less than a fully opaque covering on any part of the areola and nipple." Unless the woman is nursing. How lactation reduces the impact of the indecent sight of a lewd nude female nipple is beyond me.

I see it this way: if Lincoln's going to insist on nipple cover-ups for women, the city should require boobie tassels for men, too. Plus fully opaque covering of the carnal male areola, be it small, big, puffy or flat. 

This brouhaha in Lincoln reminds me of a similar case in Hays, Kansas, in the 1990s. I wrote this poem, "The Provocateur," about that Hays law.

THE PROVOCATEUR 

by Marilyn June Coffey

                     i
Here I live
in a town whose city dads decreed
a bare body, glimpsed though a window
against the law

Here they punish not he who glimpses
but she who bares the body
except in those rare cases
when baring a body in one's own home
might be justified:

say a matron rises naked
unexpectedly from bed
to dash to the phone
receive the news her pere
at 93 has 'passed away' 
as we put it out here

say her bare body
is momentarily glimpsed
that's not illegal

as long as it's not 'provocative'
explained the fathers

changing my definition of the term
from a woman spraddle-legged
on her porch swing, baring
'beaver' as we call it
or leaning out an open window
bare breasts supported by the sill
crooking a finger: 'psssst!'

to myself, 
trekking naked to the frig at 3 a.m.
suddenly again, after all these years
provocative
to him who glimpses me bare
momentarily illuminated
by my night light.

ii
I recall with longing my early naked 
childhood freedom so soon gone
remember my adolescent gazing
at National Geographic spreads
where nubile girls grind grain in public
pert nipples pointing horizonward
where mothers nurse unabashedly
& grand dames swing their dual sacks
hung flat as empty pillow cases 
How I marveled at a life with no 'hurry up
get dressed, Daddy's coming up the walk'
Papa presumably unable to control himself
so I must do it for him.

                iii    
Can't help but wonder
watching my male neighbor
catch the morning breeze 
on his bare torso
as he mows the lawn
can't help but wonder if
after next Friday when I rise
one-breasted from the surgeon's saw
the other but a tuck & scar
can't help but wonder if our 
city fathers will find it 
provocative
should I then strip to my waist
mow my lawn.


Published in The Breast, Global Press, City College of New York, October 1995.

2 comments:

  1. Good to read this again.
    By the way. I live in Iowa now and my yard is thick and lush. So much so that I'm having to mow a couple of times a week. If you feel the urge to work on your tan I think it would be fine with my neighbors and the local authorities. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really a fantastic writer-I love to read your things. Humor, integrity, and very human...

    ReplyDelete