Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Unexpected Educator


James Walmsley didn't look like a teacher when he came my house to interview me for Omaha Magazine.  He looked young and intense, his dress style too casual to belong to a professor.

But when I read his article, "Marilyn Coffey: Not behaving like she should," I learned something about myself, about my writing, that I hadn't understood.

James wrote that I was known for my "ability to reconcile casual, everyday language with contextually strange words."

That jerked me. I knew that I'd developed a style that rested on casual language, and I knew I made frequent flurries into my thesaurus to find just the right word for what I wanted to say. But I'd never before thought of these words as "contextually strange." 

What an illuminating concept!

Thanks, Prof.  


To read what else James Walmsley wrote, go to


No comments:

Post a Comment