Thursday, January 18, 2018

Dear Reader

I love to hear from you, and frequently receive responses to this blog or that.  But when I published "There's No Fool Like…" emails crashed in. Curiously, no two sounded alike.

Here's a sample.

Reader #1
As Gilbreth and Carey wrote somewhere in "Cheaper by the Dozen," "Time wounds all heals." 

Reader #2
Oh my, Marilyn. This is very peculiar and sad. Your title says it all. Thanks for sharing. I suggest you start circulating in our own area and hook up with a real person. You appear to need a sexual companion. Other than that, how about volunteering and connecting with people on a different level?

Reader #3
Great story! Seems like there's a thread of experience running thru it ...

Reader #4s
He was a scammer first but he probably did have the hots for you!
I always wondered why I got friend requests from military guys.  I actually did accept one friend request but never heard from him again.  After that, I deleted their requests but I didn't know they were scammers - till now - so thanks

Reader #5.
This is excellent! I love your writing.

Reader #6
Oh, Marilyn. I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Some of these guys are so slick that nothing sticks to them, not even peanut butter! The bastards are cunning and know how to say things that reel you in.

Reader #7
How fun, Marilyn. Thanks for sharing. You have the reader in your palm. J

Reader #8
Sorry, Marilyn. I know there are some A*&^%les out there. It is just a shame that they want to pick on the elderly. We had a local Rush Co. women that got scammed for $10k money a year or so ago.
What ever.
FYI, I'm only 79 so watch out  ??/??? But I'd be after your bod not your Money. 😊

Reader #9
Dear Marilyn,
That is nothing less than sadism you've been subjected too.
It's a cruel and disturbing example of the "hope springs eternal" scam but there is a compliment implicit too. You have, as do I, a strong survival of
innocence alongside all your life experience, wisdom too.
People who scam think it's just about gain but subconsciously they know 
it's really a search for something they lost long ago.
The money, trust and confidences they pursue are only symbols for something never to be regained.

Reader #10
Love this!

Reader #11
Damn sad you got caught.  You still do not seem a fool in most ways, just here perhaps!!!  Do not beat yourself up when down.  Hope you are ok now. 

Reader #12
Wow – I could have written that story.  It happened to me almost the same way about three years ago.  I was just as skeptical as you.  He had sent me pictures of himself, which I doubted were really him.  So he talked about going for a bike ride that morning and I asked him to send me a picture of him on his bike – which appeared in my email an hour later.  Ok, so maybe he's for real.  The emails were fun, informative, intimate and I, too, felt like I was in love.  He talked about when he would be leaving South Africa (soon) and how he was wealthy (he claimed to be an engineer from New Jersey working on a new shopping mall) and wanted to pamper and take care of me and build us a big house together, to which I told him I didn't want or need any of that.  But inside I loved the thought of being pampered.  And then…the money thing.  Shit!  I cut him off.  But my heart broke.

Reader #13
Now,  that should be submitted to the AARP Magazine!  They keep Writing about scams; but you came from the personal side. Did I tell you that one 12 year old granddaughter through computer almost got caught in a trafficking scam?  We caught it just in time; they were going to meet. He was going to pick her up.

Reader #14
HI Marilyn,
I'm glad you came to your senses! It's really easy to get bamboozled, esp. if you're older and lonely. That's why those guys try to prey on us oldsters. I'm glad you didn't give him any more information that you did.

Reader #15
Dear Old Fool,
I am so sorry to hear of your grief.  I would love to give you comfort and warmth.  Maybe we could meet somewhere very public [worried about your safety] and we could talk in depth.  Since I am presently in Sacramento, I would just need plane fare to fly to Omaha [plus I suppose a hotel room which we of course could make good use of].  Why don't you wire me  $2000 and we can make this happen.  I am so anxious to help you get over your recent scam experience .....

 

your admiring Army buddy from FaceBook,
your admiring GI Joe
xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment